looking for a healthy option this Thanksgiving?
living in Canada but wanting to celebrate American thanksgiving and realized you didn’t buy a turkey?
wanting to disappoint your family and see if they can still find something to be thankful for?
then turkey oatmeal meatloaf is the dinner option for you!
truth be known… it’s tasty… really tasty… and if you bought four packages of ground turkey from Costco and then realized you had no plans on what to do with it, it is a good solution for using that up!
just do what I do and make sure your family eats it before you watch the Packer’s game tonight and they see something called a ‘turducken’ … which is a turkey stuffed with a deboned duck stuffed with a deboned chicken…
because then they for sure will not be thankful for turkey oatmeal meatloaf…
turkey oatmeal meatloaf
- 6 slices thick cut bacon, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red or green pepper, chopped
- kosher salt and ground pepper
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 2 packages (roughly 2 pounds) LilyDale extra lean ground turkey
- 455 mL Heinz Chili sauce (or 1 1/4 cups chili sauce or ketchup)
- preheat oven to 350 degrees
- in a large skillet, cook bacon
- drain some of the bacon fat, not all of it, and add onion, pepper and garlic and cook until they are soft
- in a large bowl, combine oats, evaporated milk, ground turkey, 1 tsp salt, ground pepper and 1/4 cup chili sauce
- add the bacon mixture when it is cooled and combine all ingredients well
- transfer mixture to two 8” x 4” pans
- cook for 1 hour 20 minutes or until done in the middle
- take out and let cool in pans before serving
I’m gonna make this tonight!